Monday, October 26, 2009

Ethiopian Culture

I love to travel and I love to learn about different cultures. I am very much looking forward to our journey to Ethiopia and especially meeting our son.

I have read all the obligatory books on adopting from Africa and Ethiopia. I am now focusing my attention on books and media on Ethiopian culture. We have TiVO* and while still in the paperchasing phase of the adoption I entered the keyword "Ethiopia" into TiVO* to have it search for shows on tv relating to the keyword topic. TiVO* found several shows but two were useful.


  • As strange as it sounds, Biz*arre* Fo*ods* with A*ndrew* Zi*mmern* was very informative. Of course, you get to see some of the wilder food choices in Ethiopia but the footage of the Mercato in Addis Ababa, Harar and other areas was great. They also showed a coffee ceremony and explained the process and the purpose of some of the foods involved.

  • Our favorite was the Globe* Trekk*er TV show on Ethiopia. We enjoyed it so much, I went to our local library to check out the DVD series on Eastern Africa, which includes the Ethiopia show.

I am also reading a fiction book set in Ethiopia--


I haven't finished the book yet but I am enjoying it. Through the fictional story of two brothers, both surgeons, the book tells the historical and cultural story of Ethiopia.


3 comments:

MommaT said...

Glad you mentioned a book...I need something to do, I think I will order that book!

rachel said...

we have also tivoed various ethiopian programs including "bizarre foods". we too really enjoyed it!

MommaT said...

I have devoured a third of the book already..thanks for posting it. I needed something to get my mind off you know what:)