Wednesday, January 13, 2010

At Home Update

First, Oliver did great on the flights home. He slept most of the time and we landed at JFK around 8 a.m. We stayed up and tried to keep Oliver as awake as possible to get him adjusted to his new time zone. He improves each night but is sleeping from 7 p.m. until around 3 a.m. when he wakes for a feeding. He then goes back to sleep until about 7:30 a.m.

He is a happy and easy-going baby and we are so happy. Chloe is very interested in him and wants to bring him to school for show and tell! We have had a few meltdowns but we try to remind Chloe each day that she is doing a great job sharing mommy & daddy with her brother.


Oliver loves to eat and is currently taking an 8 oz. bottle every two hours! Yikes! It's constant feeding around here.


I mentioned the pollution in Addis Ababa and how it played havoc on mine and Matt's sinuses. Monday I got a full-blown sinus infection and went in to see the doctor yesterday. I am on an antibiotic and it seems the sinus infection moved into my eye (or I picked something up on the airplane) and has caused me to get conjunctivitus (a.k.a. pink eye) . There's lots of sanitizing and hand-washing going on around here.

My sister is still here helping us. She's suffering from a sore throat and ear ache too but has been a big help to me. Matt is back at work and I love my husband so much for being my "rock". He's been getting up very early to get home early and has supported me during some meltdowns from exhaustion and sickness.

Oliver goes to the pediatrician later this week and we are hoping for a clean bill of health.

I am going to share some videos we took while in Ethiopia. First is a short video of the first time we met Oliver. (Sorry for the wobbly video)



The next two videos are of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church Christmas service we went to on Wednesday night in Ethiopia. The couple coming down the aisle in the one video is getting married.



This video is of the priests chanting and dancing.


This video is of Matt dancing (and doing a great job) at Yod Absynnia with one of the professional dancers. For those of you who haven't traveled to Ethiopia to pick up your children---start practicing!


6 comments:

Emily said...

Have really enjoyed reading your story! Oliver is so cute and it was really fun to see pictures of Toukoul and Wendy (my four year old LOVED him when we picked up my daughter in July). I also had a horrible sinus infection when we got home and pink eye. The pollutions sure plays havoc with your system. ARe you with Dove or AA?

Debbie said...

I've been reading through all your blog posts. What a wonderful trip and welcome home!

MommaT said...

So glad Matt was there to dance....I wasn't about to:)
Oliver looks like he has already grown just in a few days!

Shannon said...

Emily--I am glad to know its not just me (with the sinus infection)! We are with Dove.

Dori's Mommy (Diana) said...

I've enjoyed the rest of the story. Oliver is just so precious. How old is he?

Have you even used a Neti-Pot for your sinuses? It works wonders!!

JoAnn in NJ said...

Welcome home Oliver! Loved reading about your journey to your son...he is really adorable!

Your girl gets more gorgeous every time I check your blog.

Take care!